Monday, January 9, 2012

January 9, 2012

Yesterday I started on a low carbohydrate diet. I did one about 2 years ago, and to my astonishment released about 30 unwanted pounds back to the universe. I don't use the terminology "lost weight" because my friend Kathy says that when you loose something, you want to eventually get it back. Well, that's what I did. I stopped exercising and really just ate whatever I wanted to, and managed to have all the fat find me again.

However, I am reminded of how I weaned myself off of the low carb lifestyle. I am surrounded by carbs, and if you want to grab a quick lunch out somewhere, your options are severely limited. Yesterday I made a casserole to have for dinners this week, along side a nice side salad. I combined about 14 eggs, 1 pound of sausage, 1 pound of mushrooms, 1 package of frozen spinach, and 1 8oz package of shredded cheese, along with a liberal sprinkling of salt and pepper in a casserole dish and baked it for about 30 minutes. The end result is very satisfying, but I'm sitting her wondering if I can go out tonight.

Since I am on the first two weeks of the diet, induction, it demands I follow a very strict list of foods that I can eat. My partner, Nathaniel, signed us up to go out to eat to a Thai restaurant on Friday night, and while the menu looks delicious, it is also filled with stuff that I just can't eat. Ah well, if I can make it through this two weeks, I'll be alright. At the end of the two weeks we are having a dinner party with friends, and I can chow down on small portions of things that I've had to exclude from my diet. I keep daydreaming about banana pudding though.....

Also, today was day 1 of the "8 minutes in the morning" plan. Essentially a plan developed by Jorge Cruise to start incorporating exercise into your daily routine. Nothing remarkable to report about day 1, other that it's really strange for me to get up and lift weights first thing in the morning. When I did exercise a lot, it was mostly in the middle of the day after I had gotten off of work. Anyway, "8 minutes in the morning" is a 4 week plan, and I've committed to giving it a try. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment